What Is a Conjunction?
A conjunction is a word that connects elements of a sentence, such as words, phrases, or clauses.
Type of conjunction
The three types of conjunctions are:
- subordinating conjunctions
- coordinating conjunctions
- correlative conjunctions.
Subordinating conjunctions break sentences into word clusters called dependent (or subordinate) clauses. Dependent clauses cannot stand alone and must be connected to an independent clause to make a complex sentence. Subordinating conjunctions connect the dependent clause to the independent clause.
Example: Everyone was happy when it stopped snowing.
Common Subordinating Clauses
In order that
As long as
- We can go to the beach when it opens in June.
- The baby always cries whenever his mother leaves the room.
- Even if the movies are closed, we could still go to the mall./ We could still go to the mall even if the movies are closed.
Coordinating conjunctions are single words that connect similar parts of a sentence, such as adjectives, nouns, and clauses. The acronym FANBOYS is often used to refer to coordinating conjunctions.
For And Nor But Or Yet So
- I am going on a cruise to Mexico, Jamaica, and Aruba.
- I really want to go skiing, but there isn’t enough snow on the slopes.
- Meredith does not want an orange nor a grapefruit.
- Danny would rather have a chocolate bar or hot cocoa than a granola bar
- Jenny could not find her notes last night, so she could not study for her test.
- Her dress was blue and purple.
Correlative conjunctions connect similar parts of a sentence, such as adjectives, nouns, and clauses. However, unlike coordinating conjunctions, correlative conjunctions are combinations of coordinating conjunctions, not only a single word. They always come in pairs and link grammatically equivalent items.
Not only…but also
- I like cotton candy as much as I like root beer floats.
- Both the dog and the cat knocked over the trashcan
- Nadine wants to go to either Rutgers University or James Madison University
- Neither Molly nor Emma want to see the new Batman movie.
- To alleviate stress, you should not only identify the stressors but also find ways of coping with them